RON provides a convenient, flexible option for document notarization using modern technology. The remote sessions involve the same identity verification, document review, and signing process as in-person notarizations. RON allows documents to be notarized anywhere at any time without sacrificing the legal validity and security offered by traditional notary public services.
Did you know? A law legalizing Remote Online Notarization was enacted in Virginia for the first time. In 2013, under House Bill 2318/ Senate Bill 827, it was recognized and accepted to get documents notarized by Virginia electronic notaries.
Remote Online Notarization in Virginia
Virginia one of the many states that have passed legislation authorizing RON.
The requirements for Remote Online Notarization in Virginia include:
- The notary public is physically located in Virginia at the time of the notarial act.
- The signer can be located in Virginia or anywhere internationally at the time of the notarial act and meet requirements for being located out-of-state.
- The notary public is able to verify the identity of the document signer through tamper-evident technology and by comparing their provided credentials against a credible data source.
- The notary public keeps a secure electronic journal of the notarial act with an audio and video recording.
- The notary public registers with the Virginia Secretary of the Commonwealth to perform RON.
Since Virginia legalized RON, it has grown increasingly popular. Many Virginia notaries have become approved RON notaries, and many businesses and individuals in the state now use RON for executing documents instead of needing to be physically present with a notary.
Benefits of Remote Online Notarization
Remote Online Notarization (RON) provides several key benefits compared to traditional in-person notarization. Some of the top advantages of RON include:
- Convenience of notarization at your selected place and time
- As long as you have an internet connection, you can complete the notarization process without having to coordinate schedules or travel.
- The entire process can be done on your desired schedule, morning or night, and any day (Monday-Sunday). It is easy to upload documents and get the notarization done quickly on any device, cell phone, laptop, or tablet.
- Ease of Access for all including specially-abled people, Older adults and others
- RON expands access to notary services for those with disabilities, limited mobility, or other constraints that make accessing an in-person notary difficult.
- Older adults, injured parties, rural residents, and others can easily notarize documents online without travel or coordination challenges.
- For large organizations, RON enables documents to be notarized by personnel working across multiple locations.
- Streamlines workflow for notaries and signers
- RON streamlines workflow and document management, providing faster notarization turnaround times.
- The automated workflows remove much of the back and forth communication required to schedule and manage in-person notarization appointments.
- RON platforms integrate directly with many eSignature solutions, allowing documents to be signed and notarized in one seamless process.
- Security with tamper-evident seals and Audit trails
- RON platforms utilize identity verification, eSignatures, tamper-evident seals and other security features.
- All RON platforms must adhere to strict technical and procedural standards to be approved in Virginia.
- Audit trails provide additional security and accountability when notarizing documents online.
The benefits make RON an ideal option for many Virginia residents and businesses with notarization needs.
How To Do Online Notarization Securely?
The virtual notarization process allows documents to be notarized remotely with the signer and notary in different physical locations. Here are the key steps in the RON process:
The signer’s identity must be verified by the notary through several methods:
- Government-issued ID – The signer shows their driver’s license or passport to the notary via their device’s camera. The notary verifies the ID matches the signer.
- Credential analysis – Technology analyzes the ID to confirm legitimacy and prevent tampering.
- Identity verification quiz – The signer answers questions based on public records to confirm their identity.
- Multi-factor authentication – The signer logs in through additional steps like SMS codes or biometrics.
Once identity is confirmed, the signer applies their e-signature to the documents through an electronic signature pad or mouse.
The notary applies their electronic notary seal and signature to the documents after witnessing the signing.
RON platforms use security measures to ensure an authentic signing:
- Encrypted data transmission – Data is encrypted end-to-end during the video call and document signing.
- Recording/audit trail – The RON session is recorded and stored as evidence of the signing.
- Tamper-evident technology – Any changes made after signing are evident to all parties.
- Backup storage – Recordings and documents are stored on geographically dispersed servers.
After the notarization is done, the notarized documents can be downloaded electronically. Identity verification, e-signatures, and security measures help establish trust in Remote Online Notarization.
Valid RON Documents in Virginia
Virginia allows several types of documents to be notarized remotely through RON:
- Real estate documents, such as deeds, deeds of trust, mortgages, contracts and agreements.
- Affidavits and jurats for litigation
- Wills and testamentary documents
- Powers of attorney
- Consent forms and waivers
- Contracts and commercial transactions
- Oaths or affirmations for court filings
- Advance medical directives and living wills
- Corporation documents, such as board resolutions, bylaws and meeting minutes
- Personal or commercial loan documents
- Patent/trademark documents
- Adoption documents
- Divorce agreements
- Medical authorizations and consent forms
The signer can be located in any part of the world during the virtual notarization session. As long as this requirement is met, these and similar documents can be notarized remotely by a Virginia online notary using encrypted audio-video conferencing.
Trusted Virginia RON Provider For Secure and Urgent Document Notarization
eNotary On Call is a trusted and popular RON provider in the US. We offer user-friendly platforms for notaries to complete Remote Online Notarizations and take electronic journal entries.
We also provide approved RON technology tailored to Virginia notaries. Our platforms allow notaries to securely notarize documents online, capture electronic signatures, and keep detailed records.
eNotary On Call has cloud-based solutions to enable Virginia notaries to offer remote notarization services statewide in compliance with Virginia laws and remote notarization standards. The platforms help Virginia notaries adapt to offering contactless and paperless notarizations.
By leveraging our approved RON platform, Virginia notaries can rest assured they are using a valid platform that meets the technical specifications and standards for online notary service in the state.
What is the Cost of Remote Online Notarization?
The cost of using online notary services can vary depending on a number of variables.
- Average Cost – The average cost for using a remote online notary is between $25-$75 per notarized document. Simple documents like a 1-page will or power of attorney tend to be around $25, while more complex documents like real estate closings may cost $50-$75 on average.
- Factors Impacting Cost – Some of the key factors that influence RON pricing include:
- Number of pages – More pages means more notarization fees. A 100-page estate plan costs more than a 3-page will.
- Number of signatures – Documents requiring multiple signatures, like a loan agreement, incur more fees.
- Complexity – Intricate documents like real estate transactions take more time and have higher fees.
- Provider – RON providers set their own pricing. So costs can vary between companies. More well-known, established providers may charge more.
- Add-ons – Extra services like electronic document storage can add costs.
- State rules – Some states cap notary fees for certain transactions, limiting costs.
While RON costs may be slightly higher than using an in-person notary, the convenience and efficiency often provide excellent value. You avoid travel time and hassle.
So, most RON services cost a reasonable $25 to $75 on average per document depending on length, number of signatures, complexity and provider. The benefits usually make RON a worthwhile investment for signing and notarizing important documents.
So, what are you waiting for? Get your documents notarized at an affordable price with eNotary On Call.
Future of US Notary Online Service
The technology and standards behind Remote Online Notarization will continue evolving. As video conferencing improves, identity verification methods become more sophisticated, and blockchain integrations allow seamless digital transfer of signed documents, the RON process stands to become even more streamlined.
Ongoing tech innovations will focus on enhancing security while retaining ease of use. Advanced identity proofing, biometrics, multi-factor authentication, and other fraud-prevention measures will give users greater confidence in RON.
As remote notary services gain mainstream adoption, laws and regulations will further solidify to support broader usage across industries and use cases. The future looks bright for RON’s ability to facilitate trusted digital transactions from anywhere.
RON allows documents to be notarized remotely using video conferencing technology. This can provide convenience, efficiency, and accessibility benefits compared to traditional in-person notarization. Also, when it comes to urgent matters like travel document notarization at the airport, eNotary’s online notary solution comes to the rescue.
Some key benefits of RON in Virginia include:
- Expanded access to notary services, allowing remote signing for those unable to meet a notary in person. This includes elderly, disabled, or rural residents.
- More convenient and efficient process, avoiding travel and wait times to meet a notary in person. Documents can be signed and notarized from anywhere at any time.
- Valid and legally recognized in Virginia, with RON having the same legal effect as traditional notarization.
- Secure identity verification and document authentication via multi-factor authentication and credential analysis. Reduces potential for fraud compared to paper documents.
- Cost savings, as RON providers may offer lower per-transaction fees compared to traditional notaries.
Overall, the outlook for RON in Virginia is strong, with growing demand and legal recognition. RON can make notarization much more accessible for many Virginians while upholding verification and anti-fraud standards. Get a notary online today!
Answering Your Queries: FAQs on RON
Q1: Can I use RON for all types of documents?
Absolutely! RON is versatile and accommodates various document types, from legal agreements to personal declarations.
Q2: Is RON legally recognized outside of Virginia?
It depends on the jurisdiction. While RON is widely accepted, it’s crucial to check the specific rules of the state or country where your document needs recognition.
Q3: How long does the RON process take?
On average, RON takes around 15 to 20 minutes, but it varies based on the complexity of the document and the platform used. At eNotary On Call, the document is notarized in less than 15 minutes. Also, we serve urgent documents in emergencies.
Q4: Are there age restrictions for using RON?
Most RON platforms require users to be at least 18 years old due to the legal complexities involved in notarization.
Q5: What is the best way to notarize documents on an urgent basis?
Whether it’s a last-minute contract that needs to be signed or an emergency legal document that requires immediate attention, our team at eNotary On Call will assist you promptly and efficiently. We prioritize the urgency of your situation and work diligently to meet your needs. Trust us to handle your urgent documents with the utmost professionalism.